It’s surprising how much can be squeezed out of a single sheet of paper. The spoiler phobic should turn back now because there’s a lot of Man of Steel bits and pieces to come, all divined from a single document.
So, the first call sheet to leak from the production of Zack Snyder‘s next gives details of several shots across two very distinct sequences. One is set in a logger’s bar, where Clark appears to be working a rather unglamorous job.
But the other is set on Krypton.
Here are the descriptions, verbatim. We’ll discuss what they reveal after you’ve had a chance to pick them over yourself:
In a bar, singer, background music, beer cans thrown, airmen will have beer on them. Traces of snow. Beers thrown, logging trucks, pickup trucks, snow mobiles.
Scene 62-1: Int Cassidy’s Roadhouse
Clark walks in the building, Ludlow comes over, an argument with Ludlow.
Scene 62-2: Int Cassidy’s Roadhouse
Clark intervenes, Ludlow throws a beer in his face, Clark has to hold himself in check.
Scene 63: Int Cassidy’s Roadhouse
Later – Ludlow throws up on somebody, complains about the food.
Scene 11: Int Central Hub-Underwater-VFX
Number five (Jor-El) swims up to the central hub, retrieves Codex, alarms go off, dives back under
scene 25: Ext House Of El-Armory-VFX
Number 11 (Lara) touches number 5?s (Russell Crowe) armor, where someone’s sword went through, an energy lance
Scene 17-1: Int House Of El-Armory-VFX
Number 5 dons armor, energy lance, Kelex, sounds of Attack
Scene 16-1: Int House Of El-Observatory-VFX
Number 5 and ? .. Kelex and ? comes through the doors into birthing room
Scene 16-2 thru – 16-7: Int House Of El-Observatory-VFX
Number 5 and 11 say goodbye to baby number 1
Scene 16-8: Int House Of El-Observatory-VFX
#46 placed on table … Codex infused into number 46?s heart
Scene 181-2: Int House Of El-Observatory (Flashback)-VFX
Number 5 triggers blue …begins which penetrates number 46?s heart
Scene 16-9 thru – 16-13: Int House Of El-Observatory-VFX
Number 46 pod closes and goes into air
Scene 19-1 19-2: Int House Of El-Observatory-VFX
High Shot …number 5 and 11 watch from below
Let’s take it point by point.
- Elsewhere on the call sheet you’ll see that the singer in the bar is being played by one Alison Crowe, though I suspect they may mean Allison Crowe, a native of British Columbia – which is not too far, I believe, from where the scene was filmed.
- Ludlow is being played by Ian Tracey. Sounds like a fun part. Puking and fighting and being an annoying bar brawl type.
- We’ve seen images of Clark in his bar staff get up before.
- All of these loggers around. We know what’s going to happen to at least one of their trucks.
- It seems Jor-El has been stabbed with something sword-like called an energy lance. Sounds… familiar.
- One of the scenes on Krypton was shot for a flashback. Something about “blue” going into a baby’s heart. That’s not Superman lore as I know it…
- Kelex is mentioned, while Tor-An is listed as being on hold, perhaps for a travel day. The former was created by John Byrne as part of the Kal-El birthing story, which seems to be directly relevant to these scene descriptions; the latter is apparently a crony of Zod, at some point consigned to the Phantom Zone in issues of the comics that I have never read.
Man of Steel is due in US cinemas on June 14, 2013. It could be some time before we see a trailer, or even a teaser, but these little tidbits have certainly stoked the fires of interest for now.