If there’s one thing we’ve learned from our years on the Internet, it’s that there’s no aspect of comics that can’t be broken down and quantified in a single definitive list, preferably in amounts of five or ten. And since there’s no more definitive authority than ComicsAlliance, we’re taking it upon ourselves to compile Top Five lists of everything you could ever want to know about comics.
This week, to kick off a special month of coverage looking at comics’ finest villains, we’re taking a look at Superman and the less frequently explored corners of his rogues’ gallery. With over seventy-five years and thousands of issues of publication history, Superman has encountered a lot of bad guys. So why do writers keep going back to the well-trod ground of Luthor, Zod, and Brainiac? This video offers some characters who have perhaps not gotten their due time in the spotlight.
- This video contains many images by Calamity Jon Morris from his 75 Villains of Steel project, which you can (and should) buy as an ebook here. Heck, you should also buy his book League of Regrettable Superheroes while you’re at it.
- The Prankster starts showing up in the stories collected in Superman Chronicles vol 9.
- Funny Face’s sole appearance is collected in Superman Chronicles vol 10.
- The Transilvane saga is collected in the Fourth World Omnibus vol 2, but maybe don’t pay the prices at that link, yikes.
- Titano first appears in Showcase Presents Superman vol 1 but recurs regularly in (and is on the cover of) vol 2.
- The Composite Superman first appears in a story collected in Showcase Presents World’s Finest vol 2.
Check Out Some of Our Other Episodes of Fantastic Five